Taking beauty supplements can make a huge difference, because health and beauty both start from the inside. Therefore, if you want to look young and keep your skin silky, soft and glowing, you need to invest not in expensive creams and makeup (even the expensive ones mostly contain at least 25% of water, parabens, silicones and very little nutrients), but in nourishing foods or food supplements that provide the right combination of vitamins and minerals.
Because just like any other organ in your body, your skin also requires specific nutrients to stay healthy and youthful.
However, vitamin and mineral deficiencies as well as dehydration and junk foods are very common in modern society and all these mixed together can quickly change your skin and make it look older, dry, tired and full of wrinkles.
Given below are 14 beauty supplements that can improve your skin health and help you maintain a youthful appearance for longer.
However, it’s probably not wise to consume all these at once. Just pick a few which you think you`ll not get from food or consult your physician.
In addition, at the end of the list of the beauty supplements you will find out the most natural and water free anti aging face cream, that is packed with nutrients that your skin truly needs, so you can nourish your skin also from the outside.
14 Beauty Supplements – Vitamins and Minerals That Will Make You Look Younger
1. Beauty Supplement – Vitamin E
Vitamin E is one of the most powerful natural antioxidants, so one of its main qualities is to prevent our cells from dying, specifically our skin cells. Therefore, vitamin E keeps skin smooth, supple and hydrated.
In addition, it also protects the epidermis from UV rays and forms a barrier against the damaging effects of free radicals.
Vitamin E benefits:
- Protects against cell damage caused by UV rays when combined with vitamin C.
- Reduces UV-induced skin swelling, thickness, edema and erythema.
- Relieves chronic inflammatory skin conditions.
- Has moisturizing properties.
- Very effective in fighting against free radicals.
- In addition, it prevents skin dryness, wrinkles and fine lines.
However, vitamin E is not produced inside the body, so it should be taken from foods like almonds, asparagus, vegetable oils, sweet potatoes, spinach, or from dietary supplements.
2. Beauty Supplement – Vitamin C
Vitamin C’s known abilities is to ward off colds and flu, but it may also improve skin’s texture and appearance. It’s because vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that blocks destruction caused by free radicals, which is largely associated with the aging process.
Vitamin C benefits:
- One of the most powerful antioxidants and beauty supplements.
- Increases collagen synthesis, stabilizing collagen fibers, and decreasing collagen degradation.
- Helps reduce fine lines that may have been brought on by environmental stressors, like sun and heat exposure or pollution.
- Vitamin C protects against ultraviolet-induced immunosuppression, photocarcinogenesis and photoaging.
- Decreases melanin formation, thereby reducing pigmentation.
- May have a skin brightening effect together with vitamin E and raspberry serum.
- May treat skin discoloration when delivered intravenously.
- Higher intakes of vitamin C (along with linoleic acid and less saturated fat) are associated with fewer wrinkles, prevention of crepey skin and better skin-aging appearance.
- Protects the skin and repairs and regenerates tissues.
- In addition, vitamin C, vitamin E and raspberry leaf extract has an anti aging effect.
However, when choosing your supplement, pick a bioactive form. Because bioactive form quickly reaches the organism and effectively supports the body’s resistance, gives energy, deters fatigue, and is important for many other biochemical reactions in the body.
3. Beauty Supplement – Vitamin A
Vitamin A or retinol is one of your best soldiers in the battle against free radicals, because this natural compound promotes cell growth and protects your skin against aging.
Vitamin A benefits:
- Promotes the regeneration of skin.
- Can be effective in reducing acne breakout.
- May prevent the formation of pimples.
- Stimulates the production of new skin cells and the removal of old ones.
- Supports the thickening of the dermis.
- Boosts the production of collagen and elastin, which are both vital for reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- In addition, vitamin A keeps the skin smooth and strong and acts as a natural exfoliator.
Vitamin A naturally occurs in egg yolks, whole milk, cream and butter, meat, saltwater fish, fruits and vegetables.
4. Beauty Supplement – Vitamin D
The main function of vitamin D is to ensure the absorption of calcium from nutrients and its transport to the bones. So, this vitamin gives you strong bones to support you through the years.
When vitamin D is low in the blood, it is difficult for the body to absorb calcium, which causes osteoporosis, rickets and decreases bone density. In addition, low vitamin D levels can also cause bone and muscle pain, chronic migraine, depression as well as chronic fatigue.
Above all, vitamin D increases the number of antiviral, antibacterial and parasitic immune factors, thereby supporting the healthiness and youthfulness of your whole body.
Vitamin D benefits:
- Promotes healthy bones and teeth.
- Supports brain, and nervous system health.
- Helps with calcium absorption.
- Boosts immune system.
- Promotes optimal skeletal health.
- Helps against chronic fatigue.
- Helps to prevent inflammation.
- Regulates insulin levels and supports diabetes management.
- Supports lung function and cardiovascular health.
- In addition, influences the expression of genes involved in cancer development.
Before taking vitamin D, you should first talk to your doctor and see if you could benefit. Find out Top 9 Foods Highest in Vitamin D.
5. Beauty Supplement – Vitamin Biotin
Powerful D-biotin, a vitamin that’s a part of the vitamin B family, is also known as vitamin H, B7 and coenzyme R. Along with other vitamins in the same group, this vitamin participates in converting food into energy.
Biotin plays an important role in the health of the skin, hair and nails, as it is one of the most important vitamins and beneficial beauty supplements in ensuring cell growth and renewal. Biotin contributes to macronutrient metabolism, normal energy exchange and function of the nervous system.
In addition to many different benefits, biotin also helps to keep the mucous membranes normal and supports psychological functions.
- Keeps skin, hair and nail healthy and youthful.
- Helps with micronutrient metabolism – cell growth and renewal.
- Normal energy exchange and mucous membranes.
- Keeps the nervous system normally functioning.
- In addition, it supports psychological functions.
Natural sources of biotin include for example eggs, nuts, seeds, some vegetables, beef liver, chicken liver, salmon, red meat and some vegetables like broccoli, sweet potatoes and spinach.
6. Beauty Supplement – Coenzyme Q10
Coenzyme Q10 (also CoQ10) is an important vitamin and antioxidant compound for the body. It supports physical endurance, protects cells and contributes to energy production, but also keeps your body youthful.
In addition, this vitamin is an enzyme in the body that participates in the process of building the cell energy and protects mitochondria from oxidizing. Heart, liver, kidneys and pancreas need coenzyme Q10 the most since these are organs with a maximum energy consumption.
However, at age 60 and over, the body produces only 40% of the necessary level of vitamin Q10. With only 25% of loss in the daily amount, pathological processes start to develop and malfunctions of the heart appear. In short, coenzyme Q10 keeps the body young and alert.
Coenzyme Q10 benefits:
- May alleviate age-related issues, including an increase in oxidative stress (damage in the tissues and cells caused by the environment) brought on by a CoQ10 deficiency.
- Protects against oxidative cell damage (oxidative stress).
- May help reduce wrinkles and improve the texture of the skin.
- Helps to recover from various diseases.
- Activates immune response.
- Helps against cardiac arrhythmias, and cardiovascular diseases.
- Relieves allergies.
- Stimulates fat burning.
- Helps in case mental, physical and emotional exhaustion, and in case chronic tiredness.
- Improves brainwork, enhances concentration and boosts analytical capacity.
- Helps in case metabolic disorder.
- Prevents viral diseases.
- Helps to reduce blood pressure and regulates the level of blood sugar.
- In addition, increases the resistance for stress and illnesses and helps to maintain your body healthy during intense periods.
However, the effect of coenzyme Q10 begins to appear after 2-4 weeks of consumption until the required level of Q10 is reached in the body.
7. Beauty Supplement – Collagen Peptides
The two amino acids in the protein collagen — proline and glycine — are essential for the formation and repair of joints, bones, muscles, and tendons, but they also help skin retain its firm appearance.
Collagen Peptides benefits:
- Improves skin health.
- Reduces wrinkles.
- Increases skin elasticity and hydration, as well as reduces wrinkle depth.
- Prevents bone loss, may reduce joint pain and help better symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Boosts muscle mass.
- In addition, promotes heart health.
To increase your collagen intake you can eat foods such as bone broth, pork skin, chicken, berries, citrus fruits, egg whites, garlic, fish and shellfish.
8. Beauty Supplement – Magnesium
Magnesium is one of the most vital and essential minerals. It regulates many biochemical and physiological processes. For instance, 300 enzymes require this mineral for functioning.
Stress and inadequate sleep can age you, and getting a good night’s sleep is essential, and magnesium has been effective in calming hearts, relaxing muscles and enabling you to get good sleep.
However, magnesium absorption decreases as we age. See The Full List of The Magnesium Benefits and Magnesium Rich Foods.
- Participates in the normal metabolism of carbohydrates, fats (helps to burn fats and carbohydrates), amino acids, and prevents obesity.
- Promotes the role of calcium in the human body (e.g. bone tissue development, renewal).
- Keeps your heart healthy, participates in muscle (including heart muscle) work and muscle relaxation.
- Keeps the nerve system well functioning, involves in nervous work, nerve calming, nerve impulse generation and transmission.
- Regulates cholesterol in the blood and prevents cholesterol deposition.
- Is involved in sugar metabolism in blood (insulin secretion), regulates blood pressure, and ensures good vascular tone.
- Prevents bone density loss, bone loss (osteoporosis), and the development of atherosclerosis.
- Treats weakened immune system, and participates in anti-inflammatory reactions.
- Supports the digestive process and neutralizes stomach acid.
- Provides energy, and helps to increase muscle growth and physical strength.
- Is involved in transmission of genetic information.
- Prevents migraine and headaches.
- Is involved in melatonin production and sleep regulation.
- Takes part in the intake of many vitamins and minerals. Controls the transport and content of calcium, copper, zinc, potassium, vitamin D and other essential nutrients in the body.
- In addition, it generates the energy needed to release cells from toxins.
- Above all, combats premature aging.
9. Beauty Supplement – Selenium
Selenium is recognized as a vital element to human life and is essential for skin’s health, as it is involved in regulating the metabolism of all cells, and has strong antioxidant properties.
It contributes to the normal function of the thyroid, spermatogenesis and the immune system. Selenium helps your body fight against the cell damage caused by free radicals and protect cells from oxidative stress.
Therefore, it can slow down the signs of aging, such as wrinkles, blemishes and skin spots, fine lines and skin dryness. In addition, selenium also helps in treating the symptoms of acne, improves circulation, and involves in maintaining a healthy skin texture and color.
- Regulates the metabolism of all cells.
- Has strong antioxidant properties, and helps your body fight against the cell damage called oxidative stress.
- Contributes to the normal function of the thyroid, spermatogenesis and the immune system.
- Slows down the signs of aging, such as wrinkles, blemishes and skin spots, fine lines and skin dryness.
- Keeps your hair and nails healthy.
- Treats the symptoms of acne.
- In addition, improves circulation.
However, the human body cannot synthesize this valuable substance, so it must be taken in with dietary supplements or foods like Brazil nuts, liver, tuna, mushrooms, beans and seafood.
10. Beauty Supplement – Zinc
Zinc is an essential mineral to keep the whole body functioning, as it participates in the development, growth, and reproduction of body cells. Therefore, this trace element is vital for the renewal of the body.
Zinc affects growth regulating enzymes, and the synthesis and function of thyroid and sex hormones. In addition, it also contributes to the normal functioning of the immune system and metabolism, helps with sense of taste and smell, and improves vision. Above all, zinc keeps the whole body functioning. Find out more about The Zinc Health Benefits and Top Zinc Rich Foods.
The zinc effects and it`s benefits are best seen in the health of fast-regenerating tissues, such as nails, skin and hair. The need for zinc increases with stress, disease, stress, growth, physical exertion, as well as during pregnancy and lactation. Read more about the Zinc Deficiency.
- Participates in the development, growth, and reproduction of body cells.
- Boosts the immune system, has anti-inflammatory effects, and protects cells from oxidative stress.
- Speeds up wound healing and helps repair the damaged tissue. Zinc is used topically for cuts and wounds, as well as for skin sores, acne and other minor skin injuries.
- Maintains normal blood testosterone levels.
- Promotes the production of skin cells and helps to maintain normal skin, hair and nail condition.
- Ensures a normal sense of taste and smell and helps to maintain good vision.
- Vital in the formation of a strong skeleton.
- Regulates gene expression.
- May also protect the skin from UV damage. This mineral is often used in sunscreens as it protects against harmful UV rays. Zinc deficiency makes skin more prone to sun damage, worsens acne and impairs the tissue’s self-regeneration ability.
- Research published in the Journal of Nutrition found that a zinc deficiency in rats led to impairments in DNA repair caused by free radicals, which can speed the aging process.
- Studies have found that when fighting against acne – zinc can be just as good as antibiotics.
- In addition, zinc supplements have been found to increase the level of vitamin A in blood.
However, the human body cannot produce or maintain zinc for a prolonged time, which is why it is necessary to obtain it from dietary supplements or foods.
In plant foods zinc is less bioavailable, therefore animal sources are better for the proper absorption of this mineral.
11. Beauty Supplement – Spirulina and 9 Superfoods
Another nutrient-rich plant with high chlorophyll content is spirulina, which is actually an algae that makes it particularly easy to digest. In addition to all the good qualities of chlorophyll, spirulina contains an incredible amount of protein and essential amino acids.
Moreover, it is a great source of antioxidants, B vitamins and other nutrients. Spirulina is among the top anti-aging supplements because it may also have benefits as an anti-inflammatory agent and an immune booster.
- The protein content of spirulina is comparable to an egg – a tablespoon of spirulina provides only 20 calories, but 4 g of protein.
- Contains Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) – 11%, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – 15% and Vitamin B3 (Nicotinic Acid) – 4% of the recommended daily amount (SPK).
- In addition Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine), Vitamin B9 (Folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A, and vitamin E.
- It is also a source of potassium, calcium, chromium, copper (21% SPK), iron (11% SPK), magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc.
- Spirulina is characterized by the presence of rare gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and omega-3 fatty acids. It is one of the few foods containing GLA, a prized anti-inflammatory essential fatty acid.
- Thanks to the high content of the potent antioxidant phycocyanin, spirulina is four times more potent antioxidant than blueberry on the ORAC scale (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity).
- Studies have shown that due to its high antioxidant content, spirulina increases physical endurance and reduces the risk of muscle damage during exercise.
- An anti-inflammatory agent.
- In addition, spirulina boosts the immune system.
12. Beauty Supplement – Curcumin
Curcumin found in turmeric is a very strong anti-inflammatory compound, and it has benefits for heart disease and dementia prevention. In addition, it may be helpful in fighting certain conditions associated with aging, such as high cholesterol.
Turmeric absorption in supplements are usually increased with piperine (black pepper). Curcumin extract with piperine enhances the normal functioning of the heart, respiratory tract, digestive tract and joints.
Above all, it protects cells against the damaging effects of free radicals and helps your immune system to fight against microbes, parasites and fungi.
- Supports cardiac, respiratory, joint and gastrointestinal function.
- Is a very strong anti-inflammatory compound.
- Helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Fights certain conditions associated with aging, such as high cholesterol.
- Supports mental health.
- Reduces fatigue and exhaustion.
- Protects cells from the damaging effects of free radicals.
- In addition, provides protection against germs, parasites and fungi.
Find out more about 22 Curcumin Health Benefits.
13. Beauty Supplement – Superfood Moringa
Moringa tree leaves include 46 antioxidants and 90 different nutrients. Therefore, due to its exceptionally high nutritional value, moringa is one of the most powerful beauty supplements, it stimulates the whole body, enhances energy levels and resistance to external influences.
Rich in bioactive compounds, moringa speeds up, activates and regulates the metabolic processes, cleanses the body from waste products and boosts immunity.
Above all, moringa slows down the aging processes and lowers cholesterol levels. In addition, moringa plants have a strong antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effect.
In Ayurvedic medicine, moringa trees are extremely valued, and its products are recommended for the prevention and treatment of 300 diseases, and due to its wide range of uses, high nutrient content and healing power that this plant has become known as the Miracle tree.
Read more about the 30 Magnificent Health Benefits of Moringa.
- One of the most beneficial anti aging beauty supplements that protects and nourishes skin and hair.
- Reduces wrinkles.
- Stimulates hair growth.
- Has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Helps to detoxify the body from waste products.
- Has anti cholesterol properties.
- Helps to suppress appetite and increases energy and endurance.
- Improves digestion, eliminates constipation.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Protects the cardiovascular system, reduces high blood pressure and treats diabetes.
- Used as aphrodisiac and promotor of libido.
- Protects the liver and against kidney disorders.
- Helps in cancer treatment.
- Increases mental clarity.
- In addition, helps in case depression, anxiety, and fatigue.
14. Beauty Supplement – Probiotics
Maintaining a healthy gut and immune system are important for any stage of life, and you may want to add probiotics to your anti-aging supplements list.
Probiotics are good bacteria that protect our immune system against the invasion of pathogenic microorganisms, break down sugars, starches and carbohydrates into nutrients, so that the body can easily absorb them and convert them into energy.
In addition, by breaking down and removing toxins, carcinogens, allergens, salts and heavy metals from the body, probiotics prevent the development of various diseases.
They can even affect our central nervous system, brain, our mood, blood sugar stability and performance in coping with daily life.
For example, stress, depression, difficulty concentrating and anxiety disorders are all related to a disturbed digestive system, because p to 80% of immune cells are located in the human gut (small and large intestine). So, our health and well-being depend on the condition of our intestines. Find out more about the 40 Benefits of Probiotics and 20 Top Probiotic Foods.
- These beauty supplements also strengthen immune system.
- Improve some mental health conditions.
- Certain probiotic strains may reduce the severity of eczema, psoriasis, and eczema in children.
- Reduce allergies and inflammation.
- Better breath because probiotics destroy candida.
- Lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Help keep skin healthier.
- Reduce cold and flu, and have antioxidant properties.
- Support liver health and help with detoxification.
- Improve digestion, balance microflora colonization, relieve constipation, normalize bowel movement, help treat diarrhea and avoid dysbiosis.
- Helps with vaginal infections.
- Enhance absorption of nutrients and increase energy from production of vitamin B12.
- Improve the quality and duration of sleep.
- Normalize PTH levels (associated with bone loss), and increase the amount of calcium in the blood
- Reduce the side effects of antibiotic and chemotherapy treatment.
- In addition, help lose weight and belly fat
Nourish Your Skin With Natural Skincare Products
Last, but not least – together with beauty supplements, it’s also important to nourish your skin from the outside.
Meaning, if you mostly use facial and body moisturisers based on water – which is 99% of the products on the market – you should definitely use once or twice a week some skin care product that is rich in fatty acids and nutrients your skin truly needs to look healthy and young.
Written by Maria-Helena Loik
Sources: Medicalnewstoday.com, Pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5605218/, Healthline.com, Hypervibe.com
Photos: Pexels.com, Pixabay.com, Shutterstock.com